Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Comfort Maria Calambro Style

Maria Calambro convicted of killing her son sends grief card to Teraisa after author suffers miscarriage
Maria and I have always had an unusual relationship; what else could there be between the woman who did the last and most unimaginable thing to her son and the person who was going to tell the world about it?

Back in 1995, she said no to my interviewing her. She had nothing to lose, she was already convicted and her appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court had been heard and ruled on, but she didn't want to deal with it. She did, however, want a friend.

She said she "would eventually tell [me] everything" but I assured her I would respect her wishes and simply be her friend unless and until she changed her mind. What was on public record, though, was fair game. I also said I wouldn't lie or try to tell her story; I was interested in sharing only the real story.

The next letter? She asked if I was the writer telling her story and could I send her the book? Yep. It's been strange.

A year into our relationship, I suffered a miscarriage and my son, Isaiah, escaped to what I pray is a better world. It was natural to tell my friend I was no longer pregnant which also would explain my somber letter.

Maria Calambro sends author Teraisa a sympathy card from prison, sorrow for her miscarriage


Dear, sweet, Maria... she made and sent me this beautiful card and sentiment. Our family lost a lot when we evacuated our home to toxic mold but whatever was in the garage or car was fair game; Maria's card has been with me through the worst of times and even today, while sharing it with you and knowing she is no longer a mother because of what she did, it's comforting to know someone else cared about my son and fitting that it's someone who's son, Binh Canto Calambro, I wish I had gotten to love in life rather than death.


INSIDE CARD: May you be comforted by the kindness of those who love you. With deepest sympathy, [Maria] P.S. Psalms 116:15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is very much appreciated and will assist me in future writings. Please leave positive feedback only. Spelling and grammar mistakes and negative feedback should be sent to Teraisa [@] gmail.com so I can remedy immediately. Thank you, ~Teraisa